Working with mind maps
To add a a new topic or subtopic click on the icons on the upper left side:
Hover your mouse over a topic, click on the triangle which appears inside in the middle and drag to insert a new topic.
Use the keyboard shortcut for a quicker topic creation: press the TAB key to insert subtopic and ENTER to insert a sibling topic.
Go to the last icon from the context menu to access the insert panel to add floating topic, to duplicate a topic, to add a topic with current topic's style or to add a subtopic as task.
- Font Color - Click on the arrow to access the color picker.
- Bold, Italic, Underline and Strikethrough - use these to format your text.
- Text Alignment - you can choose Left, Center and Right.
- Font Size - change the size of your text.
Font Family - choose from various fonts.
Alternatively, the text can be customized directly from inside the topic. Select the text to open the context menu:
- Change the text font
- Change the text size
- Change the typographical emphasis
Change the text color
Topic style & shape
Go to the second icon from the context menu to customize your topic.
- Topic color - Click on the arrow to access the color picker.
- Default color
- Line color- the connection line color determines the topic color.
- Topic shape - There are various shapes you can choose from: rectangle, rounded rectangle, elliptic rectangle, circle, oval, line, capsule, parallelogram, hexagon, rounded hexagon, diamond, left arrow, right arrow, and trapeze.
Paddings - set custom padding for your topic or reset to default values.
Stroke - set the topic's border color from the color picker or choose to take line's color.
- Topic style - with or without gradient, with or without border.
- Topic's border weight.
Topic connections & boundaries
- Layouts - choose from several layout types.
- Spacing - set the spacing between topics and branches
- Auto balance map
Keep the map balanced - will keep topics to stay in the predefined layout shape.
Connection line's color - choose from color picker.
- Multicolor palettes
- Connection types - straight, arc, rough, curve, elbow, rounded elbow, angle, no line.
- Anchor points - set the anchor point of the connections.
- Weight of the connections
Line format - choose from solid, dotted, dashed, tapered, arrow, triple or default formats.
The Boundary functionality will help you mark and determine the limits of an area on your map.
You can customize the boundary from the context menu. You have options to remove the boundary or its border. Also, you can set the boundary's color, line weight, and pattern.
Customize map theme
Go to the file list menu from the upper left side to access the Themes panel:
In the themes panel you will find:
- Predefined map themes
- Theme Editor - Create your own personalized theme for mind maps, concept maps, timelines and organigrams (custom font sizes, colors, shapes, and background colors or picture)
The Theme Editor and Importing/Exporting themes functionalities are only available with a paid subscription.
Go to the context menu of a topic then click on the "Connection" icon to insert a relationship between two topics.
To customize the relationship's appearance, you will have to hover over and click on the triangle. You can change the relationship's color, weight, shape, pattern, and arrows.
- Label - add/edit label on the relationship.
- Style - copy style or set it as default for current map.
Undo & Redo changes
Click on the arrows from the top toolbar to undo and redo your changes:
To add a larger body of text to any topic use the Notes panel. To access the notes panel click on the context menu of a topic. The notes panel will open on the right side and from the upper toolbar you can expand, close or delete the notes.
- Format text as Bold, Italic, Underline
- Set the font size
- Set the text color
- Numbering & Bulleting
- Set the text alignment
- Insert: mathematical formulas, direct links and videos
- Editing formats: code block, quote, strikethrough, sub- and superscript
- Remove formatting
Hyperlinks & Attachments
Access the attachments panel from the context menu of a topic:
You have various options to choose from when it comes to hyperlinks:
- Insert URL - insert a link
- Upload File - use a document from your own computer
- Topic - link to topic in the map
- Map - link to another map
Uploading personal files is available only with a paid subscription.
If you have made a mistake in the process or you want to delete a hyperlink, you can always use the 'X' sign that follows the hyperlink. Once you have inserted the correct hyperlink, press ENTER to add it to your map.
The images panel can be accessed from the context menu of a topic:
- Insert multimedia URL
- Search images on the Internet
- Attach uploaded
Mindomo image galery
Uploading image files and searching for web images is available only with a paid subscription.
The videos panel can be accessed from the context menu of a topic:
- Insert multimedia URL or upload new files
- Attach uploaded
Search videos on YouTube and Vimeo
Add Audio & Recordings
The Audio & Recordings panel can be accessed from the context menu of a topic:
- Record audio
- Upload new files
- Attach uploaded
Add Icons and Emojis
- To add icons to your mind map go to the context menu of a topic.
By default, the icons will be inserted at the beginning of the text/word in a topic.
Click on the icon to open the context menu. Here you can remove it, or add other icons from your frequently used list.
For Windows, select the topic/subtopic, press the Windows button and hold the Dot key to open the emoji panel.
For Mac, select the topic/subtopic and use the keyboard shortcut Command - Control - Spacebar to access the emoji panel.
The keyboard shortcut options allow you to insert emojis anywhere in a topic/subtopic, at the beginning, in the middle or at the end of a text.
Add a background image
To add an image as a background picture, right-click on the mind map's background, then from the 'Map Background' panel click on the icon in the middle. You will find a few predefined background patterns and from 'Browse' you can add your own image.
From the settings icon you can set the Fit, Opacity and Blur.
Focus on a specific branch
If you have a large map and you'd like to work on or have a better view of a specific branch, you can drill down on that branch. To do this, select its root topic and press F6 or go to More Options panel >'Tools' >'Drill Down' to focus on the selected branch and hide the rest of the mind map.
Create map from branch
If you feel that your mind map is getting larger than expected and you lose focus on the overview, you can create maps from specific branches. These will be automatically linked to the original mind map. To create a map from branch, focus on the root topic, open the context menu, go to More Options panel >'Tools' >'Create Map from Branch'.
Open the file list menu on the top toolbar and choose the 'Print' option.
The Printing functionality is available only with a paid subscription.